Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Where It started


Look how far we have come? Sometimes I think the dreams I set out for myself are too much of a stretch. Then at times like these, I realize that I am 7 626 km (4 739 miles) away from home, in the hot city of Adana, Turkey. It’s a dream I never imagined would be my reality. I would want to imagine this isn't exactly what I wanted when I prematurely left my one and half-year-old degree at  NUL. I chose to study Computer science at NUL because I thought it would be a great degree to have, an impressive degree that would mean hefty salary after completing university. Plus at the time the school and the course were the best thing known to me.
When it finally dawned on me that I am not cut out to be a programmer my whole life, I felt terrible and frustrated, not with anyone but myself for making such a huge blunder. After months of living with this feeling, inevitably I had to accept that my life was a mess and needed fixing, fast. So there it was, the course I had signed up to study for the next three years was not for me. I had convinced myself that I needed some break to think my future through but I still needed to make my family friends and teachers understand my point of view. Let’s just say it was harder than I thought it would be. Despite my decision not being popular with most people I ran it by, I still surprisingly got my father's backing among others. That was huge if you ask me! And so I dropped out! It was by no means an easy decision! Most people were very negative and cold towards my ''unpopular decision”, others were so mean they unreservedly said things like "Ekare hole thata hakale ho fumana monyetla oa sekolo eaba wena oa liela, kehore olise likhomo o lebale ka sekolo". (It’s almost impossible to even get into college and you just quit that easily? You might as well forget about school and herd animals). That was mingy, now wasn't it?
Dropping out is somehow affiliated with failure when it actually is the bravest and most creative thing to do in a given situation. Looking back now, dropping out was a brave decision and one that I took on my own and for myself.
What happened between then and now is another story for tomorrow!
So if you consider where I was this past year, and where I am seated typing this, you will have a stone heart not to believe that everything is possible if you believe...and work hard. In my wildest dreams, in my desperate prayers, I had never hoped to be experiencing this kind of feeling. Nothing, including sex, comes close to doing what you love.
I will be one to first admit that I have a story to tell, so is everyone...This is my way of getting mine out there. Perhaps it may inspire someone out there in the dark, someone I don't know and possibly will never know. I am not a hero, I am not trying to be one! Let's embark on this journey together, let's tap into that potential we know we always had but we were too scared to act on. Let us live life without any care what others think of us, people's opinions and expectations of us should not dictate which path we take...Let’s move towards greatness together! 

9 comments:

  1. It hits home chief! Im loving the great work. Lets indeed move towards greatness together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The future is too bright...We are in this together chief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow...proud of you maynne!!enjoyed the content

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are suvh a great writter.I am the fan of your work

    ReplyDelete